- DASSAULT RAFFALE , a French twin-engine, canard delta wing, multirole fighter aircraft, It was built by Dassault Aviation and it is the primary user of FRENCH AIRFOCE. Its first flight was taken place in “1986” (Rafale-A).
- Our INDIAN AIRFORCE having the Rafale model of “RAFALE EH” (Single seater) “RAFALE DH” (Double seater).
- Length: 15.27 m
- Wingspan: 10.90 m
- Height: 5.34 m
- Wing area: 45.7 m2
- Empty weight: 10,300 kg
- Gross weight: 15,000 kg
- Max takeoff weight: 24,500 kg
- 4,700 kg internal for single-seater
- 4,400 kg for two-seater
- Maximum speed: 1,912 km/h
- 1.8 at high altitude
- 1.1 at low atitude
- SUPERCRUISE: Mach 1.4
RAFALE is known for its wide range of weapons equipped with it . It is also known for its AIR-INTERDICTION , AIR SUPREMACY, NUCLEAR DETTERENCE and ANTI-SHIP STRIKE.
- 1× 30 mm GIAT 30
- M791 autocannon with 125 rounds.
- Magic II
- MBDA MICA IR
- MBDA Meteor (planned)
• MBDA Apache
• MBDA Storm Shadow/SCALP-EG
• AASM-Hammer (SBU-38/54/64)
• GBU-12 Paveway II,
• GBU-22 Paveway III,
• GBU-24 Paveway III.
• ASMP-A nuclear missile
- The Rafale is fitted with two Snecma M88 engines, But the Rafale A was initially powered by the General Electric F404 engine.
- The M88 engine is used because it enables Rafale to supercruise while carrying four missiles and one drop tank. Each engine is capable of providing up to 50 kilonewtons of thrust and 75 kN with afterburners.
- There are different variants of engine in Rafale they are M88-2, M88-2S and it is later upgraded to M88-4E.
- The Rafale features an integrated defensive-aids system named “ SPECTRA”, which protects the aircraft against airborne and ground threats.
- Various methods of detection, jamming, and decoying have been incorporated, and the system has been designed to be highly reprogrammable for addressing new threats.
- The Rafale’s ground attack capability is heavily reliant upon sensory targeting pods such as Thales Optronics’s Reco Areos reconnaissance pod and Damocles electro-optical/laser designation pod. Damocles is a third generation targeting device and it has very good high performance.
- It also performs other key functions such as aerial optical surveillance and is integrated with the navigation system.
- In short we can say the attacking systems of Rafale has very high performing detecting and jamming system.
RADORS AND SENSOR:
- The Rafale was first outfitted with the Thales RBE2 passive electronically scanned multi-mode radar .
- The RBE2 AA active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar now replaces the previous passively scanned RBE2. The RBE2 AA are reported to deliver a greater detection range of 200 km.
- Thales developed a front-sector electro-optical system or Optronique Secteur Frontal (OSF) , is completely integrated within the aircraft and can operate both in the visible and infrared wavelengths.
- The OSF enables the deployment of Infrared missiles such as the MICA at beyond visual range distances; it can also be used for detecting and identifying airborne targets, as well as those on the ground and at sea.
RAFLE AND ITS RIVALRY:
- Manufacturer – Dassault Aviation
- First flight – Rafale A demo: 4 July 1986 Rafale C: 19 May 1991
- Introduction – 18 May 2001
- Status – In service
- Rival – Eurofighter
- Countries using Rafale – French Air force, Egyptian Airforce, Qatar Airforce, Indian Airforce
Thank you . For more such blogs please do follow our upcoming posts about world’s eminent Aircrafts. And also your valuable suggestions and comments are welcomed with pleasure. 🙂 AEROTECH4U