INTRODUCTION TO CHENGDU J-20
- A single-seat, multirole stealth fighter aircraft, the Chengdu J-20 is manufactured by Chengdu Aircraft Industry Group (CAIG) of China.
- It is a fifth-generation aircraft being built for the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF). Its Nato reporting name is Black Eagle. Two prototypes were developed in November 2010 for aerial and ground testing.
- Potential customers of the J-20 are Pakistan, the Middle East, Latin America, South-East Asia and African countries.
Chengdu J-20 design:
- The J-20 is designed to execute ground attack missions even in hostile environments. The aircraft can reach higher altitudes with its delta wings in supersonic speeds.
- It is larger than Sukhoi T-50 and Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor. The front portion of the prototype looks similar to the F-22 Raptor and the rear section looks like a Sukhoi T-50.
- China chose not to participate in the joint development of fifth-generation aircraft by Russia and India as Russia was seen to be more profitable with the Chinese participation. In an effort to build a fifth generation aircraft as competitor to the Russian aircraft, CAIG started the development of the J-20 in late 1990s under the J-XX programme.
- Service between 2018 and 2020. Once operational, the J-20 will supersede Su-27sk Flanker-B, Su-30MKK Flanker-G and Su-30MK2 Flanker-G aircraft.
The J-20 will feature a blended fuselage with low radar cross section, low jet engine intakes, canard delta configuration, modern fly-by-wire (FBW) system, diverterless supersonic inlet (DSI), V-shaped tail and tail fins. The FBW system is equipped with a fire control system and engine management system. The active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar will scan the target information and transmit it to the fire control system.
. The cockpit will be fitted with two liquid crystal displays (LCD) and a head up display (HUD). The aircraft can be operated through traditional hands on throttle and stick (HOTAS) system.
The aircraft will also be equipped with two small lateral weapon bays beneath the air inlets to integrate PL-10 short range AAM. It is also expected to be equipped with air to surface missiles, anti-radiation missiles, laser-guided bombs and drop bombs.
The J-20 will be armed with internal cannon for close range combat missions.”
The J-20 prototype is powered by Saturn 117S engines supplied by Russia. Each engine produces 32,000lb of thrust.
The WS-10G will be fitted with thrust vector controlled (TVC) nozzles to decrease radar cross section (RCS) and infrared (IR) emissions. The diameter of the engine is 0.95m. The dry weight is 1,494kg.
The aircraft will be fitted with a tricycle-type landing gear comprising a single wheeled nose gear leg and two single wheeled main gear legs. The nose gear will drawback into the cockpit floor upon take-off, while the main gear retract forward into the fuselage section.
The J-20 can climb at the rate of 304m/s. The maximum speed will be 2,100km/h. The range and service ceiling will be 3,400km and 18,000m respectively.
CHENGDU J-20‘S RELEASE DATE AND IT’S RIVAL:
|Manufacturer||Chengdu Aerospace Corporation|
|First flight||11 January 2011; 9 years ago|
|Introduction||10 March 2017|
|RIVALRY||Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor|
HOPE THE REPORT WAS INFORMATIVE. WE WILL BE REALLY PLEASED FOR YOUR VALUABLE COMMENT AND SUGGESTION DOWN BELOW 🙂